Palama Chinese Academy was established in 1895. It was in 1894 that the Chinese Consulate and the Chinese Businessmen in Hono- lulu wrote to General Conference of Seventh-day Adventist for help in educating their children in the Western wyas and culture. They responded by sending Mr. & Mrs. H. H. Brand. They leased a piece of property at the Banyan Street in Palama called "Nawahi Place". At this site a new boarding school was set by the Brand's in the summer of 1895 and on September 12th a boarding school with 15 boys was started.
In March of 1897, Mrs. W. E. Howell arrives from California to take over as principal of Palama Chinese Academy and the Brand's was sent to Hilo to work among the Chinese youth to induce them to go to the boarding school in Honolulu. The school won the respect and confidence of not only the boys and their families, but also the Chinese merchants and the highest officials of the Chinese Consulate and enrollment doubled. Enrollment increase each year and it was determined that new facilities were needed to accommodate the ever increasing student enrollment.
The Academy moved to North Kukui Street and Kamakela Lane across the street from St. Louis College. The name of the school was changed to Anglo-Chinese Academy to accommodate the children of other ethnic businessmen in community. When the door were opened in September 1897 enrollment totaled 132 stuents. Growth continued and in 1898 additional classrooms were need. The following year 156 students were enrolled at ACA. However, on December 12, 1899 an oubreak of the bubonic plague was confirmed in downtown Chinatown. The dertmined to stop the spread of the disease closed all the schools, quantined all the newly arrived passenger on ships, and disposed all bodies in a makeshif crematorium on Sand Island. To irradicate the plague a control burn of Chinatown began New Year eve in a section in Nuuanu. This contiune until January 20, 1900 when the fire deparent did a control on the mauka side of downtown Chinatown of all wooden buildings. As result the Great Chinatown Fire occured and 7000 people were left homeless. The entire school year is lost.
In 1901, changes were made by General Conference and Headmaster I. C. Colcord arrives to take over the operations of the school from the Howells. The Chinese merchants continue to build the necessary buildings to educate the increase enroll- ment. One hundred seventy-eight students begin the new year in 1901. With a larger teaching staff and new facilities the future of the school appeared bright.
Political differences among the Chinese merchants responsible for the financial operations of the school brought on a major crisis. The severe differences between the Bow Wong Society & Consul Party (Reform Party) for "political control" continued to fester. General Conference requested legal assistance and Attorney J. H. Behrens is retained and as a result the foreclosure of the Anglo-Chinese Academy took place.
School continued but at a smaller enrollment and in privates home. The was reorga-nized in 1908 and was called Bethel Grammar School. Headmaster F. H. Conway was put in charge along Robert J. & Mabel McKeague and Bible Instructor L. T. Heaton. A school for Adventist children open in the basement of the church parson-age at 767 Kinau Street near Punahou College. Miss Matilda Tampka was engaged to open school with 23 students.
The following year the applications for entrance to the school forced the group to re-locate to a home owned by Robert J. & Mabel McKeague in Kaimuki on the mauka waikiki corner of Waialae and Sixth Avenues. (Today the site of the Aliiolani Elementary School) Thirty-six students crowed into the new facilities with their new teacher Bertha Lofstead in charge.
Enrollment continues to increase and it became ncessary for the the Mission Board to evaluate the program and as a resulted new property and building at 1426 Young Street opposite of the Territorial Forestry Department was purchased in 1917. The Board hired Mr. & Mrs. L. H. Hitchinson to run the new facilities but she could not sail from California until December. A young and bright Hawaiian girl, Miss Juliette Kaiuaola with the help of Bertha Alves was persuaded to hold the school together until the arrival of the Huchinsons.
The growing interest in the school by church members as well as others not of the Adventist faith encouraged the school to increase their educational program. The found it necessary to called Mr. & Mrs. Giddings, teachers with years of experience and they arrived in Honolulu in July 1919.
Applications increased and the Young Street quarters becomes inadequate. In the Spring of 1920 the Board authorized the purchase of two properties at 1417 and 1409 Makiki Street for $19,750. In the fall, the old White residence was arranged into two classrooms and an appartment for Principal & Mrs. Giddings and the Russell property was demolished to make room for two addition classrooms. Constructions began immediately. The expansion of the school into the academic fields and the fact that it would serve as a center for all the Islands caused the Board to select a new name for the school that would be more representative.
The name Hawaiian Mission Academy was selected and in December 1919 and 59 eight and ninth grade students moved to the new site. The following year, 188 students started attending classes on the Makiki Campus. The new assembly room and libery was also ready for the students. In addition, a small building was built to house the Science Laboratory. A full high school course was
offered and a special department was created to teach English to Japanese students. In 1924 the first graduating class consisted of 12 students. graduating class consisted of 12 students.
In the fall of 1928, J. Alfred Simonson took over the Headmasters position and und un his leadership enrollment reaches 280 in 1939. Important changes in the physical plant took place. Most notable was the erection of a new administration building fronting Makiki Street and providing an auditorium capable of seating 250 people. In addition a printing program was established and offered to student suplimenting the financial operations of the school. Advance courses are added causing the name of the school to be alter to include Advance Training School. These courses allowed students to receive their first two years of college education in conjunction with Pacific Union and La Sierra Colleges in California. Commercial printing is part of the operations at HMA. World War II produced a phenomenal rise in enrollment which more than double the attendance. More land was purchased on the corner of Keeaumoku and Matlock Streets to house a portion of the elementary division. Two hundred fifty students enrolled. Every island has an elementary school that feeds the academy in Honolulu. The Mission Board obviously sees the need for additional property for expansion.
After the death of Princess Abigail Kawananakoa in 1945, the Mission Board became interested in her royal estate located at 1438 Pensacola Street. Her three children sold the 3.5 acre estate on September 6, 1946 to HMA for $130,000. Construction on the new site begins in the summer of 1949. A New Special English classroom, two building units comprising of seven modern classrooms with teacher offices, a complete science laboratory facilities for chemistry, physics, and biology was completed. The mansion on the estate was used for teacher quarters and cafeteria. A complete new campus of concrete buildings and tile welcome in the new era.
Hawaiian Mission Academy - Pensacola Campus opened itsdoors in 1950 to all work above the eight grade level which totalled two hundred and twenty four (224) students, teachers and staff. This move allowed room at the Makiki Campus for the entire ele-mentary division of 217 students and faculty. The Keeaumoku Matlock
property was sold in a relatively short period of time. At the end of the school year the first graduating class at the Pensacola Campus consisted of 77 students
A new Administration Building was built at the south-east corner to the campus. In addition a new Library Building was completed. A used military building was brought to the campus and used as dormitory for outside island students. A need for home and business skills for students caused the school to develop a new two story building to house the Home Econmics and Business Departments. In addition a quonset hut was relocated to the campus to house the auditorium and printshop. In ddition, used military buildings were brought to the campus and used as a wood, photo, and auto shops.
In 1957 Princess Abigail Kawananakoa's Summer home was removed to make room for a mordern cafeteria, dinning room, bakery, and living quarters for the cafeteria matron. The George H. Miranda Hall was completed. The lush estate garden surrounding the hall was retained and continues to be maintained to this day.
In 1965 the quonset hut, prinshop and old wood shop were demolished to make room for a much needed Gym/Music/Classroom/Maintenance complexs to house a new regulation basketball court, 2 regulation volleyball courts, locker rooms for boys and girls, teacher offices, restroom, school auditorium, fine arts classroom, indusrial arts classroom & maintenance department.
In 1995 Hawaiian Mission Academy celebrates 100 years of Christian education in Hawaii. And in 2005 Hawaiian Mission Academy celebrates its 75th Anniversary since changing its name. Also in 2005 Hawaiian Mission Academy Alumni Association - California Ohana holds a Nationwide Reunion in Loma Linda, California where more then 1500 graduates, relatives, and friends gather at the Loma Linda University to celebrate 110 years of Adventist education in Hawaii. Keynote Speaker Pastor James Pimentel '63 spoke of God's love for mankind. The 3-day event started with Vespers on Friday with Pastor Bob Wong '64 and a organ concert by Dr. Kimo Smith '70, Sabbath Services, Saturday evening Reception and Entertainment, and closing with a Sunday morning continental breakfast.
On December 1, 2005, three hundred (300) guests were invited to a Gala Celebration, celebrating Hawaiian Mission Academy's one-hundred ten (110) years of Christian eduation in Hawaii. Special guests that were invited were the reconized ruling family of Hawaiian royalty. Included were Princess Kapiolani Kawananakoa Marignoli, Prince David Kawananakoa and his Princess Eleanor, and the next in line to the throne Prince Quentin Kuhio Kawananakoa and his wife Princess Elizabeth Broun of Barbados. All are are direct decendants of Abigail Campbell Kawananakoa who's summer place is now the home of Hawaiian Mission Academy.
Today the enrollment include 2nd and 3rd generation of children who's parents and grandparents attended HMA. The school remains part of the successful Seventh-day Adventist educational system, which was established in 1872 and that includes 7,000 high-quality schools, colleges, and universities world wide. HMA continues to offer a college focused core cirriculum that emphasizes spiritual nurturing and educational excellence. One hundred percent of its graduates enroll in a four-year colleges. HMA is fully accredited by WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) and HCPS (Hawaii Council of Private Schools). HMA continues to provide a Christ-Centered education with qualified Christian teachers who are dedicated to academic excellence. HMA provides personal attention that develops the whole person, mentally, plysically, and spiritually.